If you’re active on social media, you’ve probably seen lots of ads about MasterClass featuring celebrities such as Gordon Ramsay, Timbaland, Samuel L.Jackson and much more. Curious to find out if it’s worth it or not ? Here’s our MasterClass review .
What is MasterClass ?
MasterClass is an american online education platform. Founded in 2014 by David Rogier and Aaron Rasmussen, the website was then publicly published in May 2015. Within just a couple months, MasterClass gained huge popularity counting more than 30 000 sign ups.
But what makes them so different from other platform ?
The answer is simple; they gathered all the world’s best teachers to create unique content for their students. I mean what are the odds of you getting personal cooking lessons from renowned chef Gordon Ramsay?
Let’s dig into their content and instructors
- Thomas Keller teaching cooking techniques
- Timbaland teaching producing and beatmaking
- Herbie Hancock teaching jazz
- Christina Aguilera teaching singing
- Steve Martin teaching comedy
- Carlos Santana teaching the art and soul of guitar
- Serena Williams teaching tennis
- James Patterson teaching writing
And the list goes on and on…
So from there, i think it’s fair enough for them to claim they have the best teachers in the industry !
How does MasterClass Work ?
You have two sign-up options when it comes to learning with MasterClass.
- The first option is “pay-per-class” which costs 90$ per class. 20 to 40 video-based lessons from 3 to 15 minute each. Plus you get downloadable course notes from each instructors. The class is then accessible for lifetime watching.
- Second option is their yearly plan giving you unlimited access to every class for 180$ per year. Including lifetime access, the video-based content and also written content for each module.
- With both options, MasterClass has a 30-day refund policy.
Once you chose the best option for you, you get access to the content, this is where things get interesting. Their interface is really intuitive, the process is completely different from other online education providers. Instead of following a step-by-step program, you get to choose what content you want to start with.
Now that you’re in, press play; this is where the magic happens. You will see right away that the high-quality of each video is just simply mind blowing. MasterClass really put a lot of effort making their learning content the most professional-looking on the market right now.
With every membership, you get access to the MasterClass Community. Once you’re in you can join discussion, share some of your work, ask questions and if you’re lucky enough you might even get answers from your instructor !
MasterClass Pros and Cons
- Affordable subscription
- Access to top-level creators/teachers
- High-quality video lessons
- New content added on a regular base
- Great community
- Classes workbook
- Not made for technical students
- No live interaction with teachers
- No technical courses (programming, web development,etc.)
- Not for beginners
Worth It Or Not ?
Depending on what you’re looking for in term of education and ressources, MasterClass can be a great option. Keep in mind that MasterClass is not a one-on-one or technical learning platform. Instructors are just awesome and some of the best teachers you could get in their area, but the sad reality is that they’re not accessible. You can always rely on their great community for any questions though !
Overall MasterClass is a wonderful platform for a professional or a passionate who wants to improve in a specific area. They offer training on lots of different topics in high-quality video. I hope this MasterClass review was helpful for you on your journey toward self-education.
Any of you tried MasterClass?
What are your thoughts ? Share with us!